Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Orientation and Class: Day 1


Family and Friends,

I am finally getting used to the time change here in New Zealand. The biggest difference is the sun being out at 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. when I decide to head for bed. I have been waking up around 5:30 a.m. and feeling rested. This time schedule would work well for 8 a.m. class at UNL!

Our first day of lecture consisted of an introduction to the study abroad program and a history of New Zealand. I thought one of the most interesting facts was that the only native species to New Zealand is one species of bat. All mammals including cattle, sheep, and dogs were imported from Europe. The agricultural export market is very large here. Once the country discovered refrigeration the economy was greatly impacted due to the value of the export market. I am looking forward to visiting the New Zealand farms in the coming days.

Following lunch our study tour headed to Christchurch. We toured a historical museum and visited the local shopping mall. It was extremely busy for a Wednesday afternoon! Many of us still needed to purchase shampoo, soap, and other miscellaneous items. We were relieved to find a K-Mart in the mall to accommodate our needs. I was unable to get a haircut prior to departure because of the blizzard, so I stopped in at "Just Cuts" and got my first New Zealand hair-cut. It looks nice, although my bangs are a bit long in front.

The weather is colder this morning, very similar to yesterday. The exact temperature is somewhere between 11 and 18 degrees Celsius. Our lecture this morning will focus on New Zealand agriculture and then we are heading to Christchurch for a New Year's celebration. Happy New Year to everyone at home! On another note, I will be sending my first audio report of the trip back to KRVN and the Rural Radio Network today. Be sure to stay tuned.

Take care,

Matt

1 comment:

  1. Matt, Laurie and I took a web tour of Christchurch and it is really beautiful. We really hope you enjoy your trip and get to visit some of the sites that we saw. Wayne & Laurie

    ReplyDelete